Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Miniatures - where is the book taking me

1/28/09:  I've finally done it.  I've created my blog on books I've read and things that I may try to attempt to make in the kitchen.  What an interesting combination.  We'll see how far I go with this.  Anyway I'll just jump in and start writing about a book I'm reading called Miniatures by Norah Labiner.  I'm having a hard time getting into it and have only managed to get through 28 pages in an hour.  The difficulty is trying to get into the flow of the first person narrative.  It doesn't flow smoothly and at times the dreamlike narrative seems contrived.  For example, Fern (our narrator) is explaining to "trust neither the truth-teller nor the liar" and trust your own intuition.  She goes on apleading to the reader to "read the book in its entirety and reserve judgement" announcing "She lies!  She speaks only truth" and then ends with "God help us all".  You have to read this on page 17.  It was kind of funny and felt forced.
  The premise of the book is intriguing and I will continue to plug away at this book in the hopes that it will pick up and make sense.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you'd tell us whether you finished this book or not - and what kind of taste it left in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete