Thursday, October 22, 2009

What's on my Nightstand

Sorry for the bad picture but here's what I'm currently reading (or trying to get through).

My friend Lee has loaned me two books - The Martha Rules and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Martha's in my handbag so I have something to read on my commute. The other book has been a very slow start. However, from what I have read so far of the Larsson book, I have to agree with Lee's conspiracy theory that there may have been foul play in the author's untimely death. HMMMMM.

When You Are Engulfed in Flames - My sister, Liv, was sweet enough to go to Powells and get an autographed copy for me. Since David Sedaris loves his fans he takes the time to meet and chat with every person that shows up to his book signings. Liv waited patiently to meet him and in the hours that she waited, read the entire book. There was no need for her to get a copy for herself so she told David Sedaris the book was for her sister (me) and that I was a Leo (which I'm not). So now I have an inscription for the incorrect astrological sign but he did spell my name correctly. I'm on the last story so I just have a bit to go. It was a great commuter book and I found myself laughing out loud quite a bit. Being on public transportation, my outburst of laughter was not looked upon as a threat or even that odd.

Fannie Flagg - OK so I can't believe I read this myself, but I have this fascination with Southern life - and I don't mean hill-billy life. It's the small towns; close community; the funny, pragmatic look on life; foods that sound interesting that I may or may not want to try; and they have the funniest sayings. For example: This is what you say to a woman who finds herself with an unwanted pregnancy "Well if you don't want butter, you have to stop churning". So true.

The Stranger by Sarah Waters - I loved this book. This is a book you read on a cold, dark and windy night. I don't want to give too much away but it's about a family that lives in an old mansion that has been in the family for hundreds of years. The story is told from the point of view of the family doctor who may or may not be a reliable source. There are ghosts (who may or may not be friendly), people going mad, paranoia, and a tiny bit of romance. This is a great gothic tale. The author has written a few other books (Tipping the Velvet, The Fingersmith) that I've been interested in reading. This is her latest and it was short listed for the Booker Prize. I'm sorry that she didn't win but I'm sure she has many other stories in her and that she will one day be honored.

Martha Stewart's Cookies - I love this book and will need to buy this for myself. I hope to get this before the holidays so that I can make a few treats for Christmas. I'm interested in making shortbread and crispy and crumbly cookies. Let's see what family and friends will get this year.

As you can see, I have a few books from the library since it is not in my budget to buy new books all the time. I'm fortunate to have friends who will loan books to me, but when I can't borrow from them I just walk down to the Alameda Library. I'm a big supporter and encourage everyone to get a card and check out their local libraries.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely have to read this David Sedaris book. It sounds even funnier than "Running with Scissors." Looking forward to some cookies! Great post - thanks - I'm inspired to read more and only wish my library had the same books yours does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the return of "Martha's Rules." You'll never guess who has it now.

    ReplyDelete